Garnishment for Child Support Enforcement

About garnishment: Suppose the obligor has money or owns property, but the obligor has given it to some third person to keep for him so that the obligee can’t get it. What to do then?

One answer is to file an application for a writ of garnishment. The writ is a lawsuit against the third party. It demands that the third party give up any money or property of the obligor.
Garnishment is commonly filed against an employer to force the payment of child support by withholding it from the employee’s paycheck.

Leave a Reply